Flomax is a type of medication which falls under the category of Alpha blocker meds. These type of Alpha-blocker medications is used to treat and cure the symptoms of muscle spasms and tissue contractions in the prostate as well as the bladder region which helps in the process of urination by making it more easier.
To be precise, the crucial ingredient and the generic name of Flomax is tamsulosin. However, if you want to buy this medication from a pharmaceutical store or a chemist shop, then you would have to ask for the brand name of this medication having the exact concentration of tamsulosin.
So, what exactly is this medication called Flomax?
Well, Flomax is a medication which is used to improve the condition of urination among men who are suffering from the symptoms of a disease known as benign prostatic hyperplasia. This is a medical situation in which a person is suffering from an enlarged prostate gland which causes serious disruptions in urination and other discharge of waste material from the body.
Can Flomax be used by women and adolescent children?
It has been definitively advised by most of the doctors and physicians that Flomax should never be consumed by any women or adolescent children who are below 18 years of age.
However, it has been seen that under many circumstances, if any person is suffering from painful urination, some inexperienced chemists and pharmacists tend to prescribe them a dose of Flomax or tamsulosin. This is very dangerous as the ingredients of Flomax might react violently with the metabolism of your body and might result in severe side effects and medical complications.
Apart from this, it should also be noted that the Food and Drug Administration of The United States of America has also disapproved the use of Flomax by women or adolescent children.
What are some of the most crucial instructions which a person should follow before initiating the treatment procedure by Flomax or tamsulosin?
Whenever it comes to any diseases related to prostate glands, it is very important that the patient should read every instruction carefully before starting the treatment procedure.
It is also advised by most of the doctors and physicians that a person should read the instruction level of the medication before starting to consume it. However, if any lapse of memory occurs or negligence takes place, then, there are chances that the patient might suffer from crucial medical complications and dangerous side effects related to that particular disease.
Hence, on similar grounds, the following are some of the crucial instructions and precautions which a patient should observe and take care of before starting the treatment regimen of Flomax or tamsulosin:
- It is advised by most of the doctors and physicians that if you have faced any kind of allergic reactions towards tamsulosin, then you must avoid the consumption of Flomax or similar other medications having such concentration.
- Apart from this, it is also advised that you should avoid some similar medications during your treatment duration with Flomax or tamsulosin. Such similar meds include silodosin (Rapaflo), doxazosin (Cardura), prazosin (Minipress), alfuzosin (Uroxatral) and terazosin.
- It has also been seen and mentioned by numerous patients and doctors alike that you should not carry out any kind of heavy activities or enduring activities after consuming a capsule of Flomax. This is because after you consume a tablet of Flomax the ingredients of the medication have a characteristic drowsiness effect which might harm you if you are doing any kind of heavy jobs.
- Apart from this, it is also necessary that you should avoid any kind of overheating exercises or duties after consuming the medication of Flomax or tamsulosin.
- It is also written on the medication label that you should never increase or decrease or alter the prescribed dosage of Flomax or tamsulosin without informing or taking prior permission of your physician or doctor.
- It is also very important that you disclose all your past medical records to your doctor's along with it, you should also inform him about any other kind of medication or pharmaceuticals which you might be consuming to treat other diseases since Flomax can react violently with some of these medications and result in a dangerous medical complication.
Does the consumption of Flomax or tamsulosin result in any kind of visual irregularities?
It has been seen by numerous doctors and physicians that the consumption of any kind of medication having tamsulosin might have an impact on your pupils during the time of cataract surgery. Hence, it is very important that you inform your doctor if you are about to get any eye surgery or if you are having any kind of symptoms related to your eye.
However, it is very important that you should not stop the consumption of Flomax or tamsulosin without the proper authorization of your physician or doctor.
If you stop taking Flomax for any reason, call your doctor before you start taking it again. You may need a dose adjustment.
Last but not the least, you should read all the instructions on the medication level properly and inform your doctor or physician about any other kind of medications which you are planning to consume along with Flomax to reduce the chances of suffering from any kind of dangerous side effects or medical complications.
What is the correct procedure for consuming Flomax or tamsulosin?
It is very important that you follow the exact instructions provided by your doctor or physician while consuming the medication of Flomax. Apart from this, you should also take care of not increasing or decreasing the dose of the medication. Such an activity might reduce the effectiveness of the medication and might not give you the satisfactory results.
- It is mostly prescribed to consume the medication of Flomax once a day, after half an hour of having your lunch.
- Apart from this, it is also recommended that the medication of Flomax should be consumed at the same duration of time every day.
- It is also recommended to avoid chewing, crushing and opening the capsule of Flomax. It should be swallowed as a whole without tampering with the capsule.
What is Flomax Used For?
Flomax is an effective drug prescribed for the treatment of enlarged prostate.
Belonging to a group of drugs called alpha-adrenergic blockers, Flomax medicine acts by relaxing the muscles in the veins and arteries. Once the muscles are relaxed, more blood flows into the region, which gives relief to the condition.
When Should Flomax be Taken?
Flomax should be taken with a full glass of water. The drug should only be swallowed and not crushed or chewed or broken. The normal dosage is one Flomax capsule a day and it has to be taken about half an hour before food. It is advised to strictly follow the doctor’s direction while taking Flomax medicine. You should not take the medicine for long days or take large amounts of the drug unless recommend by he doctor.
Flomax Dose and Overdose
If a Flomax dose is missed, you can take it when you remember it. However, just forget the Flomax capsule if it is time for your regular dose. If Flomax is not taken for a long period, you should have to contact the doctor as he may ask to start a new and different dose.
Never delay in calling the doctor if you feel to have taken an overdose of Flomax. Some of the overdose symptoms include fast heartbeat, severe headache, cold, light-headedness and fainting.
Always be careful when you are using any other medicine while taking Flomax as some drugs may interact with it. Flomax is not prescribed if you are having allergies to tamsulosin or if you are on alpha medication like alfusozin, doxazosin, prazosin, and Terazosin. Flomax may also be not prescribed if you have prostrate cancer.
When consulting your doctor, you should have to consult with him about all the risks and complications of the drug. Moreover, you should also inform him about all your present and past medical conditions. This will help your doctor to take an appropriate decision on the prescription.
Before undergoing any surgery, you should have to tell the surgeon that you are on Flomax medication.
Flomax Warnings and Precautions
As the drug is known to affect the pupils during cataract surgery, it is better to inform your doctor about your Flomax medication.
The drug is known to cause light-headedness and dizziness. So you should not drive or perform any hard task after taking Flomax. Avoid alcohol as it can also cause dizziness.
Flomax Side Effects
As like all drugs, Flomax also comes with many allergic reactions and side effects. Some of the allergic reactions that are noticed with Flomax are hives, swelling and breathing difficulty. If you experience any of these allergic reactions, do not delay in consulting the doctor.
Some of the serious side effects that come with Flomax include painful erection lasting for about four hours or more, severe dizziness and fainting. If you come across any of these symptoms, stop Flomax and contact your physician at once.
The lesser-known side effects include mild dizziness, drowsiness, insomnia, decreased sex drive, abnormal ejaculation, running nose and sore throat.